I’m a relational philanthropic leader on a mission to improve educational outcomes, health equity, and cultural preservation. I have more than 20 years of executive leadership experience overseeing a philanthropic organization working to improve the livelihoods of Alaska Native people and communities.
*Dot connecting. I connect ideas, projects, people, and communities together for collective impact.
*Strategic thinking. I see the big picture quickly and work to understand all the implications to inform the best course of action.
*Coaching and mentoring. I recognize and cultivate the potential in others. I inspire people to stretch themselves in ways that enhance the value they bring to their work.
Some of my career achievements and highlights include:
‣ Successfully grew a private foundation by 400%, increasing the organization’s net assets from $17M to $68M and increasing annual giving from $850K to $3.4M, while keeping overhead minimal and streamlining operations.
‣ Led many organizations through significant change, including CEO searches and transitions,
rebuilding after a major earthquake, transitioning a state agency and a fiscal sponsorship group into 501c3 nonprofits, and overseeing fiduciary and governance structures for dozens of organizations.
Grant-making and Program Strategy
‣ Oversaw the grant-making strategy for more than $40M investments to community organizations and individuals, improving educational outcomes for Alaska Natives and increasing the preservation of Alaska Native cultural heritage.
‣ Created increased access to education, culture, and wellness with innovative scholarships and grants for thousands of community members.
Partnership Building & Community Connecting
‣ Built a long-term partnership with a large, national foundation, resulting in a transformational, intergenerational art making program across the State of Alaska. Secured ~$3.8M in intermediary grant funds, which doubled the investments in Alaska Native art and culture.
‣ Conceived of and developed a national alliance for professionals in STEM fields.
I am highly motivated by my Tlingit values and sense of responsibility to advance equity for my community and others. I seek to contribute and lead in organizations that are centering historically marginalized communities in vastly more equitable ways.